Isabelle Namnoum, HCTP September 2018
This soup is like a grown-up version of your mom’s tomato soup. It’s like a hug in a bowl, and better yet, it’s vegan, gluten-free, and Whole30 compliant, too!
- 4 red peppers
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can tomatoes
- Scant 2 cups stock of your choice
- 3/4 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 cup cashews
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place peppers on sheet tray and cook for about 20–30 minutes, until blistered and fork tender. Remove and let cool.
- Once room temperature, peel skin from peppers and scoop out seeds/stem. Add peppers to blender and pulse until smooth.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high in a medium pot. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes and sauté until translucent, about 3–4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, pureed peppers, and salt to pot and bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Add cashews to blender and add soup mixture (do two rounds of blending if needed; be careful not to overfill your blender!). Blend on medium until fully smooth.
- Transfer back to pot and enjoy!
Isabelle is a twenty-year-old IIN graduate. She has always had a passion for nutrition and health, starting from her days studying ballet. She now runs a catering business and meal prep service, trying to incorporate wellness into people’s lives in a welcoming and inclusive way! For more information about Isabelle, check out her website and Instagram.