Martina Zand, HCTP January 2012
This bowl is the definition of warmth and comfort for the winter. It is super quick and delicious. Yes, it looks like a long list of ingredients, but I promise it takes less than 30 minutes to assemble everything. All you need is leftover brown rice or any kind of leftover grain in your fridge.
For the marinated mushrooms:
- 2 button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the crispy kale:
- 2 big kale leaves (doesn’t matter if curly)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the rice:
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
For the toppings:
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon kimchi, sauerkraut, or pickled food of your choice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine mushrooms, garlic, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, cumin, and pepper, and set aside to marinate.
- Slice kale into thin ribbons. Massage with olive oil and salt, then spread on baking tray in single layer. Bake for 15 minutes until crispy.
- Add water and miso paste to pot and whisk to dissolve.
- Add rice to miso water. Heat gently until water has evaporated and rice is creamy – about 5 minutes.
- To assemble everything, place miso rice in bottom of bowl. Top with marinated mushrooms and crispy kale. Add toppings and enjoy the warm comfort.
Martina inspires moms around the world to take all the science behind nutrition, food, exercise, and a healthy lifestyle and make it their own. She is a superfoods lover, world traveler, holistic nutritionist, fitness trainer, and healthy lifestyle blogger. Martina currently lives in Berkeley, California, with her husband, daughter, and puppy. For more information about Martina, check out her blog and Instagram, where she shares daily health tips, weekly yummy recipes, and exercise videos you can do anytime and anywhere.