By Grace Chee, HCTP May 2019
This one-pot pumpkin curry is an easy and flavorful dish that pairs a variety of vegetables and protein with a golden and rich garlic naan to soak up its wonderful flavors.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 chili pepper of your choice (green chili, Thai chili, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 can full-fat organic coconut milk
- 1/2 can organic pumpkin puree
- 1 can organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch kale, stalks removed
- 2 medium organic sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Tamari to taste
- Heat oil in large pot over medium. Add shallots and garlic with pinch of salt and cook until mixture starts to brown.
- Add ginger and chili and begin to cook. Add spices and continue to cook until fragrant. Add curry paste and continue to stir for 2–3 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk, pumpkin puree, and chickpeas and bring mixture to soft boil. Lower heat, add sweet potatoes, and continue to cook with the pot on for 10–15 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly soft. Add kale and cook until leaves are wilted.
- Add lime juice and tamari. Feel free to add more cumin, cinnamon, or turmeric as needed. Let simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice or with garlic naan.
Grace is a Nashville-based lover of food, wellness, and community. She is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who specializes in home cooking, gut health, and food freedom. Most important, she focuses on creating and nurturing a balanced life that is aligned with purpose.
Outside the kitchen, Grace works full-time in higher education and is also part of TRILUNA, a Nashville-based, experiential wellness company dedicated to creating programs, events, and curriculum that transform you from the inside out. You can also find her practicing yoga, enjoying a good self-help or fantasy novel, or catching up on the latest episode (or just re-watching every episode) of The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. To learn more about Grace, check out her blog and Instagram.