By Maria Paulina Chica, HCTP September 2018–Spanish
Granola is a great topping and snack to keep at home. It can go with fruit or yogurt or top waffles, pancakes, or delicious French toast. I love to make it at home because you can choose your own variations – with or without oats, a sprinkle of nuts and seeds, or whatever other flavors you prefer. It’s customizable!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup gluten-free whole oats
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon yacon syrup (or organic honey, maple honey, or a sweetener of your choice)
- Heat coconut oil in pan over low to medium heat.
- Add oats and stir until golden in color but not burnt!
- Add nuts and mix until combined.
- Add pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and flaxseeds and mix again.
- Add coconut and sesame seeds. Note: These tend to toast fast, so prevent burning by removing pan from heat to combine and then putting back on heat.
- Add yacon syrup and stir until it covers entire mixture.
- Spread granola on baking sheet and let cool.
- Store in glass jar or airtight container for later use.
Maria Paulina Chica is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and is currently studying in IIN’s Emotional Eating Course. She utilizes her passion for home cooking as a way to give love and nourish herself and others with real food. She helps people change their habits to bring more connection and mindfulness in every moment of life. To learn more about Maria, check out her Instagram.