By Julie Katerine Turcotte, HCTP May 2016
There is nothing better than a velvety butternut squash soup during the crisp fall and winter months. It is by far one of my family’s favorites, and I am all for immune-boosting meals when “sneezing season” is here. Your first line of defense when it comes to a stronger immune system is a healthy lifestyle comprised of a rich micronutrient diet. We’ve got you covered here with onions, ginger, turmeric, and garlic!
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 1/4 cup shredded pistachios
- Himalayan pink salt and fresh ground pepper
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- Fresh-squeezed lime juice
- In a deep pot over medium heat, sauté onion, garlic, and ginger in melted coconut oil. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add squash, curry, and turmeric and stir.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, and pistachios.
- Bring to low heat, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir every 2 minutes or so.
- Once cooked, transfer mixture into a Vitamix or blender and puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in shallow bowls. Garnish with sesame seeds, cilantro or parsley, and a splash of lime juice.
Julie Katerine Turcotte is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, the founder of Global Glow, a lifestyle curator, a rheumatoid arthritis overcomer, and a lucky mom of three! Global Glow, where inner wellness meets outer beauty, is a health and lifestyle platform with a curated shop that delivers a bespoke health and wellness experience for you by implementing positive lifestyle and behavioral changes. To learn more about Julie Katerine, check out her website and Instagram.