By Kayla Brandon, HCTP January 2019
As the weather cools down, it’s time for a new season of produce, including root vegetables, like sweet potatoes, beets, and my personal favorite, rainbow carrots. There’s something about roasting carrots that feels grounding and nourishing, making it the perfect autumn pastime in the kitchen!
Carrots are rich in vitamins A and K as well as beta-carotene, which helps reduce the risk of macular degeneration – the leading cause of vision loss. Covered in balsamic vinegar and topped with vegan pesto, this dish will allow you to discover a whole new way to enjoy your micronutrients!
- 3–4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (16 ounces) organic rainbow carrots, washed and peeled
- vegan pesto (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Toss carrots in bowl and coat evenly with balsamic glaze.
- Place on parchment paper–lined baking tray and roast for 30–40 minutes, depending on how crunchy you want them.
- Optional: Top with vegan pesto and enjoy as a side dish or simple snack!
Kayla is a holistic Health Coach and certified personal trainer for women who want to “have it all,” finding greater balance in their lives without being obsessive about food. She believes living a holistic healthy lifestyle begins with maintaining a strong body and mind. Through her studies at the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) and the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN), Kayla’s aim is to help you identify your wellness goals and design an exercise and nutrition program that fits your physical and emotional needs while also showing you how to maintain balance in all other areas of your life. To learn more about Kayla, check out her website or follow her on Instagram.