By Blair Powers, HCTP October 2018
Reducing my food waste was the inspiration behind this perfect fall dish! I was left with extra pumpkin puree after making a loaf of chocolate chip pumpkin bread, and I knew if I put it in my fridge to use later, it would more than likely end up going to waste. So I decided to use up the extra puree and experiment. This vegan dish turned out to be a delicious, comforting meal to welcome the fall season!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened organic nut milk, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or another thickener of your choice)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 pound pasta of your choice
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until browned.
- Add 1 cup of nut milk to pan, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir a few times and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup of nut milk. Once combined, add mixture to pan along with pumpkin puree, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Stir and let simmer until it begins to thicken.
- Cook pasta to your liking. After straining, add to simmering alfredo sauce. Split between two bowls and enjoy!
Blair is on a mission to #keepitreal when it comes to food and show the world that we need to switch our mind-set from treating illnesses to preventing them before they happen! In addition to creating healthy, plant-filled recipes, she loves sharing lifestyle tips and tricks, favorite fitness undertakings, and all the amazing knowledge she learned while obtaining her holistic health coaching certificate through IIN. Visit her website and follow her on Instagram for inspiration to live every day to your happiest, fullest potential!