By Neeyaz Zolfaghari, HCTP September 2018
There’s nothing like fresh strawberries in the summertime! As soon as this cake starts baking, the aroma will whisk you away to a strawberry field.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a nine-inch round baking pan in oven. Carefully remove from oven and whisk 1/2 cup of brown sugar into butter until well combined.
- Place pan in oven for one minute, remove, and whisk once more to blend.
- Arrange strawberries evenly across the top, then set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the remaining 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar until lightened in color. Slowly add eggs one at a time, beating and mixing well. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- Alternate adding in dry materials and milk into the wet mixture until all is well combined.
- Spoon batter over strawberries in baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick or fork comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then carefully invert onto a serving plate.
Neeyaz’s story starts back in 2011 when she was diagnosed with Graves’ disease. Diving into the various healing modalities available, she looked to food and nutrition as a place to start and see what was hindering her progress toward optimal health. After an allergy test and elimination diet, she found that she had a severe intolerance to gluten and allergies to wheat, barley, and rye. Her journey is what inspired her to become an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach focused on autoimmune and hormonal health and start a business where she can educate and inspire others to tune into their own health and natural patterns to see what areas they can improve upon to reach their fullest potential and live a fulfilled, balanced lifestyle. Find more from Neeyaz on her website and Instagram.