By Kiran Dodeja Smith, HCTP March 2016
A tasty energy bar that provides ample nutrition, some filling fiber, a pop of protein, and lots of taste – but not too much sugar!
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1-1/4 cup puffed rice cereal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup sunbutter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line an 8” x 8” pan with parchment paper.
- Pulse dates in food processor until finely chopped.
- Add cereal, oats, sunflower seeds, and cinnamon. Pulse on high for approx. 30 seconds, or until ingredients are mixed. Place in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey and sunbutter over medium heat until melted and blended. Remove saucepan from heat and add vanilla. Pour mixture over dry mix and stir to combine. Pour onto parchment-lined pan and press firmly to cover the pan. Refrigerate for 60 minutes. Remove and cut; store in the refrigerator. These can also be frozen.
Kiran Dodeja Smith is a mom of four and runs the site easyrealfood.com, which offers gluten-free recipes for busy families along with tips and tricks to make real food easy. She recently launched Camp Kitchen, a digital guide to help teach kids to cook, and she has a passion for helping get kids in the kitchen. Find more from Kiran on her website and Instagram.