By Christina Zakhem, HCTP July 2017
This oat and buckwheat bowl is the perfect combination of fiber and protein to start your day off right. Cinnamon adds a subtle warm flavor that pairs well with sweet and nutty toppings. This heart-healthy breakfast is simple to prepare and is sure to become a staple in your diet!
- 1 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 cup buckwheat
- 2 small dates or 1 large medjool date
- 1/2 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
Toppings: pecans, goji berries – or whatever you want!
- Bring water to boil and add salt.
- Add oats and buckwheat.
- Chop date(s) into small pieces and add.
- Let cook for approximately 6 minutes.
- Add almond butter and cook for another 3–6 minutes. The longer it cooks, the creamier it gets!
- Once ready, let cool for 2 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, add toppings, and enjoy this protein-packed breakfast.
Christina is a holistic health and nutrition coach as well as a culinary wellness professional in training. Christina’s approach to health embodies different aspects of life that impact one’s health with an emphasis on bio-individual needs. She co-creates individualized programs with her clients to help them reach their health and wellness goals and create long-lasting lifestyle changes. Christina also specializes in plant-based cooking and pastry work and is pursuing a culinary certification. Find more from Christina on Instagram.
Are you an IIN grad with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!
Interested in becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach? Click here to learn more!