By Sapana Chandra, HCTP November 2015
Elevate any meal with this delicious and easy-to-make kale citrus salad. It’s tangy, flavorful, and sweet, and it takes less than 15 minutes to come together. Make it for a meal at home or for work the next day!
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 citrus fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate or dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a tightly sealed glass jar. Shake for 30 to 60 seconds, until well-emulsified. Adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Combine kale and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Massage until tender, about 2–3 minutes.
- Add remaining salad ingredients to massaged kale. Drizzle with dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Sapana Chandra is a plant-based professional cook, a food blogger, a Health Coach, and the author of Plant Power Bowls. She launched Real + Vibrant in 2016 after healing herself from chronic illness. Sapana believes that small, everyday habits can lead to big life changes. Follow her on Instagram for a dose of daily inspiration or check out her blog, where she teaches how to cook simple and delicious plant-powered meals.
Are you an IIN grad with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!
Interested in becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach? Click here to learn more!