From Models Do Eat author Jill de Jong, HCTP October 2013
Want an easy way to eat more veggies? Make soup! After a bowl of this very-easy-to-make split pea soup, you’ll feel satisfied and full for hours. You can’t go wrong including split peas in your diet as they are highly nutritious and rich in protein.
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried green split peas, picked over and rinsed well
- 1-1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Optional toppings: shredded carrots, sliced scallions
- In a large pan or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and blend soup until smooth using an immersion stick or traditional blender, then transfer back to the pan. Thin with water or more broth if desired.
- Garnish with shredded carrots and scallions (if using) and add more salt to taste.
This recipe comes from Models Do Eat. Ten models share their secrets to feeling healthy and looking great and show that getting fit and the body you want don’t mean giving up delicious food. The contributors are all about body positivity, bio-individuality, and health at every size. They each had their own challenges staying in shape and dealing with health issues and some form of disordered eating. What they had in common was a desire to find better, more enjoyable ways to stay fit, healthy, and beautiful. In addition to being models, they are knowledgeable Health Coaches, trainers, and authors. Anyone can eat like a model and reap the benefits inside and out – Models Do Eat shows you how.
Jill de Jong was born in Holland, and her successful modeling career brought her to the United States. She was based in New York City for many years, explored Miami for a few years, and then fell in love with Los Angeles, where she currently resides; it’s a great place to pursue her passion for health and wellness. After making the career shift from full-time model to Health Coach, personal trainer, and chef, she’s never looked back. When Jill is not working, you can find her in the kitchen cooking or outside in Malibu running, biking, surfing, or stretching in a yoga class. She recharges by spending time with her boyfriend and friends. Meaningful conversations and delicious food make her heart sing. To stay motivated to exercise, she signs up for triathlons and Spartan races.