By Marissa Vicario, HCTP Spring 2009
This super simple bowl is filled with healthy ingredients that can be thrown together in minutes. It makes the perfect on-the-go lunch or dinner with no hassle required.
Basil Avocado Dressing
- 1 large handful basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- Juice of half a lemon + zest
- 1 clove garlic
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Water as needed
- 2 cups forbidden rice, prepared according to package instructions
- 1 can black-eyed peas
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 handful arugula
- 1 handful shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and combine until smooth.
- Add water to thin out as needed.
- Placing heavier ingredients in first, add all ingredients to a bowl.
- Toss with dressing.
- Substitute similar ingredients based on preference, season, and what is available. Serve warm or cold, depending on time of year and ingredients included.
Marissa Vicario is an award-winning Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, certified barre instructor, and author of the bestselling book Your Holistically Hot Transformation. As a women’s health and lifestyle expert, she teaches women how to trust themselves to make slimming, nutritious, and energizing choices without fad diets. Get more from Marissa on her website and Instagram!
Are you an IIN grad with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!
Interested in becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach? Click here to learn more!