By Nikki Baumel, HCTP July 2018
Shakshuka is a traditional Middle Eastern dish that combines all the warm and earthy flavors of the fall season. This is a delicious meal that can be served any time of day. It’s easy to make and uses only a few main ingredients, making it perfect for group gatherings or a cozy morning at home.
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 BPA-free can whole, peeled plum tomatoes
- 1/4–1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- 4 organic, farm-raised eggs
- hot sauce (optional)
- Add onion, garlic, olive oil, bell pepper, and spices to a pan and cook on medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and let cook for about 10 minutes, until it thickens. Stir in cheese.
- Crack eggs directly into sauce. Place in oven and bake at 350°F for 7–10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro/greens and hot sauce. Best enjoyed as is or over your favorite grains (quinoa/wild rice/couscous/matzah).
Nikki Baumel is the creator of Mysweetbelly.com, a platform designed to help others learn more about health, food, and fitness by offering information and inspiration toward a healthier lifestyle. Find more from Nikki on her website and Instagram.