By Jessica Shepard, HCTP 2008
What says fall more than the flavors of pumpkin and gingerbread? These muffins are a combo and make the perfect fall breakfast or snack. Plus, the recipe requires no high-tech kitchen appliances – just a few bowls and a whisk.
For the wet ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
For the dry ingredients:
- 1-2/3 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Heaping 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° Line muffin pan with large paper liners.
- In a mug or small bowl, whisk together chia seeds and water. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients (except optional walnuts) together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk wet ingredients together until smooth.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. No patches of flour should remain. Be sure not to overmix the batter.
- Stir in walnuts if desired. You can also reserve some for garnish.
- Divide batter equally between the muffin liners. They should be about 3/4 full or a bit more. Add walnuts on top and gently push down (optional).
- Bake muffins for 20–24 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in the pan for 5–10 minutes, then transfer each muffin onto a cooling rack until completely cool.
Jessica Ruth Shepard is a holistic Health Coach and bodyworker guiding others to better health. Jessica faced her own health struggles and uses her personal experience along with her extensive trainings to empower others to transform their lives, too. She helps her clients make sustainable, long-lasting changes with the tools toward a brighter and more fulfilling life. Find more from Jessica on her website.
Are you an IIN grad with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!
Interested in becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach? Click here to learn more!