By Sandra Shields, HCTP September 2014
If you’re having a snack attack and looking for something that won’t set you off track, these blueberry coconut balls are the perfect treat! They’re fun to pop when you get the craving for something sweet or you need something small to tide you over before a meal. They’re filled with healthy ingredients and skip anything that those prepackaged snacks might have!
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup dried blueberries
- 1 cup toasted coconut (use unsweetened coconut chips that are already toasted or toast your own)
- In a medium bowl, add coconut flour, flax seed, cinnamon, and salt. Mix with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the honey, oil, vanilla, and lemon juice. If using coconut oil, melt it just until runny.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and blend with a handheld mixer.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Place coconut in a mini food processor or use a mortar and pestle to pulverize the coconut flakes.
- Scoop dough into tablespoon-sized balls and roll in the pulverized toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate and enjoy!
Sandra Shields is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, recipe developer, and wellness blogger looking to help others improve their health through diet and lifestyle changes. She creates healthier versions of food favorites, focusing on recipes for people who struggle with food intolerances and those looking to incorporate healthier eating habits into their lives. Through her health coaching practice and blog, she’s putting the power of change back into her clients’ hands. Find more from Sandra on her website and Instagram.
Are you an IIN grad with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!
Interested in becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach? Click here to learn more!