By Angela Shank, HCTP January 2016
These tasty chocolate chip cookies have less than 10 ingredients, are Paleo-friendly and gluten-free, and can be vegan with a few simple swaps. Give these gems a try…you won’t regret it!
- 1-1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt (pref. Himalayan)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg, room temperature (to make vegan, replace with a flax egg; directions below*)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
*For vegan variation: Replace egg with a flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax seed and 3 tbsp water. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow mixture to thicken.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and vanilla together. Slowly add the melted coconut oil, whisking it until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and mix gently to combine.
- Chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for 45–60 minutes to help dough solidify slightly.
- Use a tablespoon to help make the dough into one-inch balls.
- Place balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper lined and gently flatten.
- Bake 7–10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3–5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.
Angela Shank is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and program manager for the Leadership Foundry. Before starting IIN, Angela experienced chronic Lyme disease, struggled with depression and anxiety, and experienced chronic neck and shoulder pain caused by scoliosis. Becoming her own health detective and advocate was crucial to managing her symptoms and living a happy, healthy, active, and “normal” life. She’s now working with clients to help them create a healthier and happier life, reduce stress, have more energy, and reach their individual health and wellness goals. Check out Angela on Instagram @your_world_of_wellness.
Are you an IIN grad with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!
Interested in learning more about becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach?
Click here for more information!