These whole food, fiber-packed, oil-free vegan flapjacks will fill you up without slowing you down. They’re vegan, refined sugar free, and could easily be made gluten-free with gluten-free flour and oats!
By: Ann Christine, HCTP Class of October 2013
Makes about 20 medium-sized, thick and fluffy pancakes.
- 1 1/2 cups blended up oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole spelt flour, or flour of choice
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- a pinch of pink/sea salt if you wish
- 5 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon (or thereabouts) cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Mixed berries (or blueberries or chocolate chips, etc.)
- 1/2 cup-ish of oats
- First mix up your dry ingredients (except the whole oats that you save to add at the end.)
- Then add your wet ingredients and mix.
- Add in your 1/2 cup, or thereabouts, of whole oats. Mix well, but don’t over mix.
- Let batter sit for 5 minutes, making to sure to turn on your non-stick skillet at this point.
- After 5 minutes, assess the thickness of the batter. It should be thick, but not TOO thick. If it’s too thick then add a bit of non-dairy milk.
- Scoop your batter onto your non-stick skillet and then add some delish berries. Once the sides start to dry a bit, and it looks golden brown underneath, flip that baby!
- If you’d like to eat together with your dining companions, we suggest you turn your oven on at low heat, and store the pancakes in there while you’re making the rest of them.
- Serve with REAL maple syrup, or peanut butter, or whatever floats your boat. These also make excellent crumpet-like things for afternoon tea with a bit of chia jam.
** If you don’t have a non-stick skillet, you might have to add oil or vegan butter to the pan.
Ann Christine is a voiceover artist, singer and Health Coach living in Paris with a passion for holistic, plant-based, mindful living. Ann and her best friend Chloe are the creators of Veggie Maginifique– a Paris-based wellness blog that focuses on nutritious and delicious plant-based recipes, holistic wellness, and tips and tricks for a healthier and happier life. Veggie Magnifique believes that a healthy body and mind is the first step in creating a truly successful and fulfilling life. Check out more from Ann on her blog, YouTube channel, or Instagram @VeggieMagnifique!
Are you a IIN grad with recipes worth sharing?
Submit them to us here for a chance to be featured!