Store-bought acai bowls are usually loaded with more fruit, added sugar and piles of granola than any single person needs to consume in one sitting (unless you’re about to run a marathon). This well balanced variation features the same glorious texture of those crave-worthy acai bowls and just the right amount of fruit to add yummy flavor without sending your blood sugar through the roof.
By: Liz O’Carroll, HCTP Class of September 2017
- 3/4 – 1 Cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (shoot for one without additives)
- 1/2 packet frozen unsweetened acai
- 1/4 pitted ripe avocado
- 3/4 Cup frozen organic strawberries
- 1/2 Cup frozen riced cauliflower or steamed then frozen zucchini
- 1 Scoop chocolate flavored
- 1 Scoop collagen powder
- Handful organic spinach
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the smoothie base: 1/2 tablespoon beet powder
- In the smoothie base: 1/2 Tablespoon mesquite powder for a low glycemic sweetener
- On top: A few frozen or fresh berries to bring out that berry flavor
- On top: 1/2 – 1 Teaspoon each chia seeds, raw cacao nibs, hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, crushed nuts…any superfood OR raw or dry-roasted, unsalted nut or seed!
- Put a bowl in the freezer to chill while you gather your smoothie ingredients.
- Put all ingredients (excluding optional toppers) into your high-speed blender. Blend on high until fully combined, smooth and creamy. You’re going to need the tamper to push the ingredients down towards the blade with this thick and dreamy recipe, and if you don’t have a high-speed blender, you’ll likely need to add a little more liquid to get things moving.
- Pour smoothie into your chilled bowl and top with whatever your heart desires. Enjoy!
Liz O’Carroll is a health coach, writer and founder of Misfit Wellness, a platform dedicated to making a healthier diet and lifestyle feel approachable and sustainable. She is deeply passionate about exposing people to the transformative power of the holistic and integrated approach to wellness that changed her life. Through the Misfit Wellness platform, health coaching, workshops and public speaking, Liz provides tools and resources that simplify and streamline the path to optimal health. She specializes in helping those struggling with chronic stress, gut and hormone imbalances, autoimmune conditions, food allergies and body image issues that have all become too pervasive today. Find her on Instagram @misfitwellness.
Are you an IIN Graduate with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!