This soup is so simple and is done in about 1 hour. Lentils are part of a food group called pulses, filled with vitamins and nutrients, and particularly rich in dietary fiber lean protein, folate and iron. They contribute to several nutritional and health benefits associated with the prevention of chronic disease and may also protect against cancer. With the addition of BrothMasters Bone Broth, this soup is a powerhouse of nutrients. This soup can be eaten “thin” (very soupy) or “thick,” (like a stew).
By: Laya Barak, HCTP Class of January 2012
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and Cayenne or ground black pepper to taste
- 3-4 cups water, start with 3 add more if you like it thinner
- 4 cups BrothMasters Bone Broth
- 2 cup red lentils
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, lime or red or white wine vinegar (or more to taste)
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot. Add onions and sauté until they begin to change color, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in Tomato paste, cumin, salt and pepper. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth, water and lentils. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot, turn heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are soft, about 30-45 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic. Heat for another 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the soup, leave it a little chunky. Add lemon juice to taste. Pick a garnish.
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
Chopped Cilantro (fresh or frozen)
Sprinkle of cayenne for extra heat
Roasted cashews or pecans with chopped cilantro
Laya Barak is a health coach, Pilates instructor, and co-founder of BrothMasters Bone Broth, a bone broth company she started with her mother, Dorothy. After Laya struggled with personal health issues, they developed a bone broth that soothed her issues and in turn, a product that does so much more. Both having a passion for creating and eating delicious and nourishing food, they were inspired to perfect their bone broth recipe to fuel and heal others. This powerful mother-daughter team shares their bone broth on BrothMasters.com and @BrothMasters.
Are you an IIN Graduate with recipes worth sharing? Submit them to us here!