By Val Alarcon
When I was 10, my brother and I moved to the United States from our native land of Ecuador to reunite with our parents. Throughout my childhood, we held on to our traditional foods to honor our country.
I created this recipe to celebrate one of our many traditional dishes – this one is called the “Bolla de Platano” and I created a version of my own called “Plantain Pattie Breakfast – The Tower of Power Breakfast.”
Power Plantain Patties
1 green plantain
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cups cilantro, chopped
1 cup Manchego cheese, chopped in small pieces
2 tbs unrefined coconut oil
1 avocado, cut into slices
Salt and pepper
1. Peal and cut plantain into fourths, boil for 10 minutes
2. Grate the plantain, set aside
3. In a frying pan, add coconut oil and on medium heat sauté garlic and onion for 10 minutes
4. Add mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes
5. In a mixing bowl, add the grated plantain, chopped cheese and mix in the sautéed ingredients
6. Fill 1/2 measuring cup with the plantain mixture and shape the mass into a patty
7. Fry the patty on medium high heat for 5 minutes on each side, or until they are golden, set aside on a plate
8. Fry the egg to your liking, add prepare your dish
9. Put plantain patty on a plate, place the egg on top, then garnish with cilantro and avocado slices
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy with your favorite tea or cup of coffee!
Val is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and her mission is to educate, empower and inspire people on how to create fundamental changes for reaching optimum health and vitality. As a cancer survivor and thriver, she knows what it takes to reclaim life and she’s here to be of support to others on how to do the same. Check out her website here!