By Amber Roberston
This delicious snack bar recipe is full of healthy fats. Plus, it’s delicious! I remember the popular low-fat/fat-free diet craze being hugely popular in the 1990s. We were all so afraid that eating fat would make us fat. Studying dietary theories at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition helped me get clear on the importance of dietary fat. I now know what a crucial part fat plays in supporting the body’s immune system, brain function, elevating energy levels, balancing hormones, and even promoting weight loss.
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup hemp seed hearts
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a square 8×8 pan with parchment paper and lightly oil with coconut oil.
- Mix all ingredients (except honey and sunflower seed butter) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add honey and sunflower seed butter into the mixing bowl and stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Transfer mix into the pan and press down firmly.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely (place pan in the freezer to speed the cooling process). Once cool, lift parchment paper out of the tin and slice into 10 bars with a sharp knife.
Amber Roberston is an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and wellness educator who teaches entrepreneurs and busy professionals how to improve digestion, stay energized and reduce fatigue. Using the principles of clean eating, self-care and mindfulness, she helps her clients take the mystery out of eating well and have fun making the transition to a healthier lifestyle. Amber has a private practice in Nashville, TN where she coaches clients one on one, facilitates corporate and community workshops, teaches healthy cooking classes, and leads group programs online. Since 2011, she’s helped people worldwide change their relationship with food and experience lasting results. Check out her website, Bliss Holistic, for more information!