By Dania Drewing
This recipe is a vegetarian (potentially vegan, depending on bread selected) twist on a classic BLT! It’s important to connect with our food and make the healthiest selections when nourishing our bodies, which is why I ensure the foods I eat were farmed in the most ethical means possible!
VLT (Vegetarian BLT)
2 leaves of lettuce
3 slices vine-ripened tomato
1/4 avocado, mashed to creamy consistency
2 slices of your favorite bread or roll
2 cups walnuts
2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. coconut sugar
1/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- Spread mashed avocado on one or both slices of bread and set aside
- For maple-roasted walnuts, place sugar and salt in a quart-size baggie
- Add maple syrup and mix well
- Add walnuts, zip bag closed and mix until nuts are well coated
- Place on parchment paper-covered cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes, stirring at minutes 5 and 10 to avoid burning
- Set aside and allow to cool (the longer they cool, the crunchier they will get)
- Add maple-roasted walnuts, tomato slices and lettuce to bread slices with avocado and enjoy as a sandwich!
Dania is a Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach who graduated from IIN in May 2015 and completed the “Launch Your Dreambook” course during her studies. Her book “Vanity Nutrition: Using Food, Not the Scalpel” has been very well received and she has decided to pursue medical school and is currently studying for the MCAT exam. To learn more, visit her website: www.VanityNutrition.com!
2 thoughts on “VLT (Vegetarian BLT)”
What temperature should you bake the walnuts?
I’d think 350º should work!