By Rima Bazzi
This traditional Lebanese lentil recipe is the ultimate warming winter dish! It’s nourishing, nutrient-rich, packed with protein and very inexpensive to make. I learned this recipe from my mother and whenever I make it, I prepare a big quantity and freeze it so I can enjoy it when I don’t have time to cook!
Nourishing Lentil Soup
2 cups brown lentils
2 bunches Swiss chard (500 g), finely chopped
4 onions, finely chopped
6 small potatoes (4 medium), chopped small
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 ½ tbsp. brown rice miso paste
10 garlic cloves, crushed
1 squeezed lemon
- Place lentils and Swiss chard in large soup pan and cover with water (enough for soup)
- Bring to boil, then lower heat and let simmer
- In a separate sauce pan, heat olive oil on low-medium heat and add onions, stirring until softened (yellowish color)
- Once lentils are soft, add onions, potatoes and miso paste to the soup pan and cook for 30 mins.
- Once soup is nearly done, add garlic and lemon juice and cook for another 15 mins.
- If soup is too thick, add water and stir
- Once all ingredients are soft and chewy, serve soup with lemon juice, salt or pepper to taste.
Rima Bazzi is a Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, food blogger and yoga teacher who is passionate about helping people live a healthier and happier life. Rima is the creator behind the @beyondthebowl_byriri Instagram account, teaching people to embrace a healthy lifestyle that goes beyond the food on our plate. Rima wants to inspire people through her recipes and demonstrate how easy and delicious healthy eating can be. All of her recipes are dairy-free, refined sugar-free, gluten-free and meat-free!