By Zina Flores-Turner
I love taking traditional food and creating healthier versions that stay true to the dish, while adding life! Boasting metabolism revving ingredients and albondigas, a traditional Hispanic comfort food, this nutrient-rich soup is the perfect way to warm up during the cold winter.
Metabolism Revving Albondigas (Meatball) Soup
1 lb. grass fed ground beef
½ cup organic jasmine rice, uncooked
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. turmeric
2 tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. pepper
1 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
2 tomatoes, diced
1 small poblano pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced (about 3 cups)
1 small white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 serrano pepper, minced
⅓ cup cilantro, chopped (more for garnish)
Juice of 1 lime (more for garnish)
1 tsp. oregano
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp. coconut oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients for meatballs and refrigerate until ready to use
- In a dutch oven pot, heat 3 tbsp. of coconut oil to medium heat
- Add onions, poblano and serrano peppers, season lightly with salt/pepper and cook for 3 min.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more min.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and chicken broth, then bring to a boil
- While the soup comes to a boil, remove the meatball mix from refrigerator and make 30 small meatballs
- When soup is boiling, slightly reduce heat and carefully add in meatballs
- Gently stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30-35 mins.
- At the last 10-15 mins., add zucchini
- Taste for salt and garnish soup with lime wedges, green onions and more fresh cilantro
Zina Flores-Turner is a Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach and founder of Honey & Happiness. It wasn’t until Zina had her first child that she realized how the food we eat has a direct impact on the body, mind and well-being. To learn more about Zina’s journey visit www.honeyandhappiness.com.