By Dawn Dunkin
I am a cookie monster! This recipe is vegan, gluten free, and with no refined sugars. It allows me to have my cookie and eat it too!
These hearty cookies are so warm, inviting, and delicious. Every time I make them for friends and family, they are eaten up quite quickly. Very easy to make, they’re the perfect healthy treat when you are craving something sweet or want to surprise the kiddos with a treat after school!
Hearty & Homey Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
½ cup coconut oil
4 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup coconut sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 cup oatmeal (I use gluten free but regular is fine if you are not gluten sensitive)
1 cup buckwheat flour or brown rice flour (both are gluten free)
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚ Fahrenheit
- In a large bowl gently mix all of the dry ingredients – coconut sugar, shredded coconut, chia seeds, oatmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients in a small saucepan – coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla – and warm until nicely blended. Stir often to prevent any burnt taste.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and slowly add wet ingredients into the middle. Mix and fold until well combined.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and roll cookie dough into 1 large tablespoon balls. Place on the cookie sheet approximately 1 inch apart and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Take out of oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a rack to completely cool. Once completely cooled you can store your cookies in an airtight container or save for later by storing in the freezer.
As a Pediatric Hematology Oncology Nurse, Dawn worked in a stressful environment that caused her to develop health issues of her own. After studying at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Dawn radically changed her eating habits and lifestyle, and eventually brought her own health back into balance. It is Dawn’s passion to help those struggling with their health, to help them regain their balance and focus and to learn to maintain a sustainable healthy practice for a lifetime! For more information and to connect with Dawn visit www.dawndunkin.com